MLB Players Association Executive Director Tony Clark Reiterates Resounding Refusal To Accept Further Salary Reductions
Official logo of the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA)

The Major League Baseball Players Association executive board held a conference with more than 100 players and reiterated their stance against accepting another pay cut in order to reach an agreement with MLB on a 2020 regular season.

“In this time of unprecedented suffering at home and abroad, Players want nothing more than to get back to work and provide baseball fans with the game we all love. But we cannot do this alone,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said in a lengthy statement.

“Earlier this week, Major League Baseball communicated its intention to schedule a dramatically shortened 2020 season unless Players negotiate salary concessions. The concessions being sought are in addition to billions in Player salary reductions that have already been agreed upon.”

MLB rejected a proposal from the MLBPA that among other items, called for a 114-game season in 2020 and expanded playoffs for two years. On top of that, the league was said to be holding internal discussions over potentially imposing a 50- or 60-game season, as opposed to presenting the union with a counteroffer of their own.

“This threat came in response to an Association proposal aimed at charting a path forward. Among other things, Players proposed more games, two years of expanded playoffs, salary deferrals in the event of a 2020 playoff cancellation, and the exploration of additional jewel events and broadcast enhancements aimed at creatively bringing our Players to the fans while simultaneously increasing the value of our product,” Clark continued in his statement.

“Rather than engage, the league replied it will shorten the season unless Players agree to further salary reductions. Earlier today we held a conference call of the Association’s Executive Board and several other MLBPA Player leaders.

“The overwhelming consensus of the Board is that Players are ready to report, ready to get back on the field, and they are willing to do so under unprecedented conditions that could affect the health and safety of not just themselves, but their families as well.

“The league’s demand for additional concessions was resoundingly rejected. Important work remains to be done in order to safely resume the season. We stand ready to complete that work and look forward to getting back on the field.”

The MLBPA is seeking to reach a deal that allows for players to earned prorated salaries that were part of a March 26 agreement.

Have you subscribed to our YouTube channel? It’s the best way to watch player interviews, exclusive coverage from events, participate in our shows, and more!