The Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians stretched the 2016 MLB season to Wednesday, the last possible day, and ended it in thrilling fashion with Chicago overcoming a 3-1 series deficit to win their first World Series since 1908. Now, free agency begins Thursday morning at 6 a.m. PT.
For the Los Angeles Dodgers, their focus presumably will be on re-signing Kenley Jansen and Justin Turner, and perhaps Joe Blanton and Rich Hill as well. The Dodgers have a total of nine free agents, excluding those who are eligible for salary arbitration and in theory could be non-tendered.
Coinciding with the start of free agency is the MLB awards season beginning Monday, Nov. 7, when finalists are announced for Rookie of the Year, Cy Young, MVP and Manager of the Year.
Included below is a list of important dates to be mindful of this MLB offseason:
- Thursday, Nov. 3: Beginning at 6 a.m. PT, clubs have an exclusive five-day window to re-sign their free agents
- Monday, Nov. 7: Final day for teams to extend qualifying offers to free agents. Qualifying offers, which for 2017 are expected to be worth $17.2 million, must be submitted by 2 p.m. PT
- Monday, Nov. 7: BBWAA awards finalists announced on MLB Network beginning at 3 p.m. PT
- Monday-Thursday, Nov. 7-10: General manager meetings (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
- Tuesday, Nov. 8: Beginning at 12:01 a.m. ET, free agents become eligible to sign with any team
- Tuesday, Nov. 8: Rawlings Gold Glove winners announced on ESPN at 5 p.m. PT
- Wednesday, Nov. 9: Players Choice Awards winners (Player of the Year, Outstanding Pitcher, Outstanding Rookie, Marvin Miller Man of the Year, etc.) unveiled on MLB Network at 5 p.m. PT
- Thursday, Nov. 10: Louisville Silver Slugger Awards winners announced on MLB Network, beginning at 3 p.m. PT
- Monday, Nov. 14: 2 p.m. PT deadline for players to accept or reject the one-year qualifying offer
- Monday, Nov. 14: American League and National League 2016 Rookie of the Year Award winners announced on MLB Network at 3 p.m. PT
- Tuesday, Nov. 15: AL and NL Manager of the Year winners announced on MLB Network at 3 p.m. PT
- Wednesday, Nov. 16: Cy Young Award winners announced, beginning at 3 p.m. PT on MLB Network
- Thursday, Nov. 17: MVP winners unveiled on MLB Network, beginning at 3 p.m. PT
- Friday, Nov. 18: Esurance MLB Awards (Best Major Leaguer, Best Hitter, Best Pitcher, Best Rookie, etc.) winners announced on MLB Network. Awards show will also be streamed online at MLB.com.
- Monday-Thursday, Dec. 5-8: 2016 Winter Meetings (Washington D.C.)
- Thursday, Dec. 5: Rule 5 Draft concludes Winter Meetings
To this point the Dodgers have nominees for a Gold Glove and the Players Choice Awards. Corey Seager presumably will take home the NL Rookie of the Year Award, and Dave Roberts may very well be named NL Manager of the Year.
Clayton Kershaw is likely to be among the finalists for NL Cy Young, but due to time missed this season, it’s doubtful he’ll become a four-time winner of the award.