Full List Of 2020 National League, American League Gold Glove Award Winners

The 2020 MLB season was a special one for the Los Angeles Dodgers as they won their first World Series since 1988. The shortened schedule has now come and gone, so awards season is currently in full swing for the league.

This week saw the 2020 Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners announced during a one-hour special on ESPN. The Dodgers had one Gold Glove winner in 2019, with Cody Bellinger winning his first in right field.

L.A. also had one winner in 2020, and it was also at the right field position, although this time it wasn’t Bellinger. Mookie Betts took home his fifth career Gold Glove Award in 2020, his first season in a Dodgers uniform.

The award was well-deserved as Betts is known to be the best defensive right fielder in baseball, and now he has Gold Gloves in both leagues as proof.

After the acquisition of Betts, Bellinger moved over to center field and again had a terrific defensive season. He was named a finalist to win his second Gold Glove although lost out to San Diego Padres center fielder Trent Grisham.

Grisham was one of 11 first-time Gold Glove Award winners this season, a list that includes Atlanta Braves pitcher Max Fried, Chicago Cubs shortstop Javier Baez and St. Louis Cardinals left fielder Tyler O’Neill in the National League.

First-time winners in the American League are L.A. Angels pitcher Griffin Canning, Seattle Mariners first baseman Evan White, Cleveland Indians second baseman Cesar Hernandez, Texas Rangers third baseman Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Mariners shortstop J.P. Crawford, Chicago White Sox center fielder Luis Robert and Rangers right fielder Joey Gallo.

There were some familiar faces winning Gold Gloves in addition Betts earning his fifth, as Nolan Arenado (Colorado Rockies) and Alex Gordon (Kansas City Royals) both won their eighth. Gordon has already announced his retirement from MLB, so someone else in the AL will finally have a chance to win the left field award in 2021.

Gold Gloves are typically voted on by managers and coaches around the league, though they are not permitted to vote for their own players. The coaches/manager votes usually account for 75% of the formula, and the SABR Defensive Index make up the remaining 25%.

This season was different since it was 60 games and teams only played opponents in their division and those from the opposite league. Because of that, SABR Defensive Index made up 100% of the voting.

National League Gold Glove Award winners

Pitcher: Max Fried, Atlanta Braves (first award)
Catcher: Tucker Barnhart, Cincinnati Reds (second award)
First base: Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs (fourth award)
Second base: Kolton Wong, St. Louis Cardinals (second award)
Third base: Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies (eighth award)
Shortstop: Javier Baez, Chicago Cubs (first award)
Left field: Tyler O’Neill, St. Louis Cardinals (first award)
Center field: Trent Grisham, San Diego Padres (first award)
Right field: Mookie Betts, Los Angeles Dodgers (fifth award)

American League Gold Glove Award winners

Pitcher: Griffin Canning, Los Angeles Angels (first award)
Catcher: Roberto Perez, Cleveland Indians (second award)
First base: Evan White, Seattle Mariners (first award)
Second base: Cesar Hernandez, Cleveland Indians (first award)
Third base: Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Texas Rangers (first award)
Shortstop: J.P. Crawford, Seattle Mariners (first award)
Left field: Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals (eighth award)
Center field: Luis Robert, Chicago White Sox (first award)
Right field: Joey Gallo, Texas Rangers (first award)

Have you subscribed to our YouTube channel? It’s the best way to watch player interviews, exclusive coverage from events and more!