Edwin Díaz made his return to the Los Angeles Dodgers roster on July 29 after recovering from right elbow surgery but struggled through nine appearances before being put back on the injured list.
The latest instance is due to neck inflammation, an Díaz returned to Los Angeles for an MRI and visit with Dr. Robert Watkins. According to Jack Harris of the California Post, manager Dave Roberts said Díaz only has inflammation and will be temporary shut down from throwing in what otherwise is a positive development.
Dave Roberts said Edwin Díaz got a “best-case” prognosis from his doctor’s visit today
MRI came back clean. No other “findings” in his neck
He’ll be shut down from throwing for “a couple days,” Roberts said, then they’ll see how he’s feeling from there
— Jack Harris (@ByJackHarris) August 19, 2026
It has not been a successful season for the right-hander, both before and after the elbow injury that cost him more than three months of the year.
Díaz had a 12.91 ERA and three blown saves in nine appearances since returning from the 60-day injured list. The 10th-year veteran was placed on the 15-day IL prior to Tuesday’s game against the Colorado Rockies, with Emmet Sheehan getting recalled to take his place.
Díaz is in the first season of a three-year, $69 million contract he signed with L.A. It is an eerily similar situation to Tanner Scott’s first season with the Dodgers in 2025 after he signed for four years and $72 million.
Both relief pitchers went on to immediately struggle while also dealing with injuries, although Díaz’s performance in 2026 has been significantly worse than Scott’s was last year.
If there is any silver lining in the situation, it has been Scott’s bounce-back in 2026 now that he is healthy. The left-hander looks much more like the pitcher the Dodgers thought they were getting when they signed him.
The 32-year-old has a 2.20 ERA over 49 innings and has converted 16 of 18 save opportunities while filling in as the closer during Díaz’s absence.
That being said, hoping for a resurgent season from Díaz in 2027 does not help the Dodgers this year as they try to complete their three-peat.
It would appear, based on Dodgers manager Dave Roberts’ comments, that Díaz will continue to serve as the closer this season.
The right-hander will have to show meaningful growth on the mound as the MLB regular season enters its final month. Otherwise, the Dodgers will need to have a very uncomfortable conversation about changing Díaz’s role in the postseason for the betterment of the team.
Tanner Scott back in Dodgers closer role
During the time Díaz missed after elbow surgery, Scott went 1-3 with 16 saves, two blown saves, a 2.65 ERA, 2.11 FIP and 0.85 WHIP while holding opponents to a .192/.236/.317 batting line.
While Díaz is sidelined for the next [xx], Roberts said Scott will move back into the closer role.
Make sure to follow Dodger Blue on Instagram! It’s the best way to see exclusive coverage from games and events, get your questions answered, and more!