Coming off a season in which hamstring injuries limited him to just 79 games, Yasiel Puig did little to ease the mounting criticism with a November report of his involvement in a scuffle outside a Miami bar.
It was said the incident began after the Los Angeles Dodgers talented but polarizing outfielder got physical with his sister and was subsequently asked to leave.
Puig was accused of sucker-punching a bouncer, while the 25 year old said he threw a punch out of self defense.
While both parties agreed not to press charges, Major League Baseball launched an investigation into the incident.
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has the authority to hand down a punishment independent of criminal charges or lack thereof, under the league’s revamped domestic violence policy.
At the time of Puig’s incident, Colorado Rockies shortstop Jose Reyes was under investigation for allegedly choking his wife and most recently, New York Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman is another player facing possible punishment.
MLB is expected to conclude their probes by March, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports:
Decisions on discipline for Reyes, Puig, Chapman under domestic-violence policy probable before camps open and likely no later than 3/1.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 8, 2016
Dodgers position players are expected to report for Spring Training by Feb. 24, with the first full-squad workout scheduled for the following day. Los Angeles begins Cactus League play against the Chicago White Sox on March 3.
The three investigations mark the first of their kind Manfred has needed to rule on. Given the lack of precedent, MLB executive Joe Torre previously remarked the league would not rush their process or set a timetable for decisions to be made.
In Puig’s case, there isn’t believed to be evidence he was physical with his sister, which may suggest he will avoid serious disciplinary action.