For as much attention as the Los Angeles Dodgers’ need to address their starting rotation has received, and deservedly so, they also have a significant void to fill at second base.
On the heels of trading All-Star second baseman Dee Gordon to the Miami Marlins last December, the Dodgers acquired Howie Kendrick from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to replace the speedster.
Although older than Gordon, Kendrick figured to provide a better defensive presence at the position.
While there wasn’t much of a noticeable drop off, Gordon went on to win a 2015 Rawlings Gold Glove Award. Kendrick became a free agent after the season concluded and predictably declined the one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer from the Dodgers.
With a market that’s thin on viable options at second base, one the Dodgers aren’t considering is Ben Zobrist, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the LA Times:
— Mike DiGiovanna (@MikeDiGiovanna) November 25, 2015
Zobrist, who will turn 35 in May, hit .284/.364/.453 with a .354 wOBA, 124 wRC+, seven home runs, 16 doubles and 23 RBIs over 59 games with the Kansas City Royals.
Prior to getting traded, he hit .268/.354/.447 with a .345 wOBA, 122 wRC+, six home runs, 20 doubles and 33 RBIs over 67 games as a member of the Oakland Athletics.
The versatile utility man spent time at second and third base, and left and right field last season. The Dodgers were previously said to be considering Daniel Murphy and Chase Utley as second-base options.
Additionally, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said Kiké Hernandez and Jose Peraza were in-house candidates the club would consider if that was the direction they elected to go in.
Kendrick hit .295/.336/.409 with nine home runs, 54 RBIS and a 109 wRC+ in 117 games. Despite time missed time in August and September due to a strained hamstring, he finished with a batting average above .290 for a third consecutive season.
The 32-year-old second baseman isreportedly seeking at least a four-year contract.