The first offseason change for the Los Angeles Dodgers came Saturday when the club announced Stan Conte resigned from his post as vice president of medical services and head athletic trainer, effective immediately.
“I want to thank the Dodger organization and specifically each and every one of the dedicated medical staff for their support these last nine seasons in Los Angeles,” Conte said. “My resignation will allow me to focus on my research in baseball injury analytics as I remain committed to determining the causes and effects of various baseball injuries.”
Conte joined the Dodgers in October 2006, hired by then-general manager Ned Colletti. The two previously worked together with the San Francisco Giants, where Conte spent 15 seasons; the last seven of which Conte served as the Giants’ head athletic trainer and physical therapist.
“I want to thank Stan for his contributions to the Dodgers over the past nine years as well as all he has done for the entire community of sports medicine,” said Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman. “He was an integral member of the organization and we wish him well in his future endeavors.”
In 2011 the Dodgers promoted Conte to senior director of medical services. He was then promoted to VP of medical services prior to the 2013 campaign. This season was particularly trying for Conte and his medical staff, as the Dodgers placed 17 different players on the disabled list.
Hamstring issues were the injury de jour, though Brandon McCarthy (Tommy John) and Hyun-Jin Ryu (torn labrum) were lost to season-ending surgeries. Carl Crawford and Chris Hatcher both missed extensive time due to respective oblique injuries.
In August the Dodgers cut ties with several members in their international scouting department, namely vice president Bob Engle. Additionally, the club did not retain 10 Minor League coaches, including Triple-A OKC manager Damon Berryhill, who was named Pacific Coast Manager of the Year this season.