Given how the 2016 season has gone for the Los Angeles Dodgers it was fitting Rich Hill, the starting pitcher acquired to bolster the rotation, remains on the disabled list. Hill last pitched July 17 for Oakland Athletics.
He threw five pitches before being removed due to a blister on the middle finger of his left hand cutting open. Hill became the 23rd player sent to the disabled list this season by the Dodgers, setting a National League record.
That number increased to 25 on Wednesday with Louis Coleman and Adam Liberatore landing on the 15-day DL with right shoulder fatigue and left elbow inflammation, respectively.
As for Hill, he successfully threw a bullpen session at Coors Field without irritating the blister that’s now being calloused over, according to Bill Plunkett of the OC Register:
Wednesday’s full-effort bullpen session was the first time since then he had thrown off a mound without any protection on the finger and he said he had “no issues whatsoever.”
The bullpen session leaves the 36-year-old southpaw on track to start either Saturday or Sunday in the Dodgers’ home series with the Boston Red Sox. However, Dodgers general manager Farhan Zaidi said it’s possible Hill makes a rehab start prior to being inserted into the starting rotation.
The Dodgers currently have Bud Norris listed as the probable starter for Saturday’s game. There’s some uncertainty as to whether he’ll make the turn as Norris was removed during the first inning on Sunday with a lat strain.
Whenever Hill takes the mound for his Dodgers debut, he’ll look to improve on a 9-3 record, 2.25 ERA, 2.53 FIP and 1.09 WHIP. Facing the Red Sox would pit Hill against the club that signed him to a Minor League contract last August out of the independent league.