When the Los Angeles Dodgers embark on a nine-game road that begins Tuesday, Adrian Gonzalez will head out to join Triple-A Oklahoma City on a rehab assignment. It’s expected to conclude with High-A Rancho Cucamonga.
Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said he wasn’t yet certain which day Gonzalez would actually begin his assignment. The expected change in affiliates is due to “logistics,” Roberts explained. Prior seeing game action the veteran first baseman will participate in a simulated game at Dodger Stadium on Sunday.
“We’re going to get a pitcher here and get Adrian a large amount of at-bats,” Roberts said. Gonzalez has been on the disabled list since June 13 and only recently began to take part in batting practice.
That came after he first went through an individual workout last weekend, which included running curves and fielding grounders, and proved to be a noteworthy test.
“After his heavy workload he recovered nicely,” Roberts said. “The ball is coming off pretty good. Where he’s at, I’m really encouraged. It will be good to get him out playing.”
How long Gonzalez will remain on a rehab assignment has not been determined. Roberts previously surmised the duration would be a minimum of one week, though he’ll defer to Gonzalez.
Prior to this season, Gonzalez had never been on the disabled list in his career. He last appeared in a game June 11.
Several hours after Roberts’ remarks, the Dodgers transferred Gonzalez to the 60-day disabled list to create room of the newly-acquired Luis Ysla on the 40-man roster. The earliest Gonzalez can now be activated is Saturday, Aug. 12.
Meanwhile, also on Sunday, Brandon McCarthy will throw a bullpen session to test the blister on the middle finger of his throwing hand. “From that point, depending on how it goes, we’ll get him in a simulated situation or maybe another bullpen,” Roberts said.
The blister is an issue McCarthy said he’s dealt with since Spring Training. He was placed on the 10-day disabled list June 24 (retroactive to June 21).